Tenancy Advice - Rent Increase

apartments * condominiums * suites * houses * rooms
sublets * vacation rentals * shared accommodation

apartment guide .ca
Vancouver Apartments for Rent

Translate to Spanish Translate to German Translate to Japanese Translate to French Translate to Chinese Translate to Korean

Advice for Tenants - Popular Subjects -
Starting Tenancy:
During Tenancy:
Ending Tenancy:


Tenancy Problems - Rent Increase

Q: I have a lease and it says that there is myself husband and child are the renters and my mother-inlaw has come to stay with us and babysit while we work. Can our landlord make us pay more?
A: No. The landlord has rented out the rental premises to the tenant(s). Your mother is obviously a guest. The Act prohibits the landlord from restricting who the tenant may have as a guest in the rental premises and he cannot restrict visitors to the premises to certain hours, days, etc. Neither can the landlord restrict who the tenant may have as an overnight guest.
If the guest of the tenant is the cause of disturbing behaviour, compromises safety of the premises or interferes with the lawful right of others, the landlord may apply for arbitration to resolve the situation or end the tenancy.
If you intend to have your mother live with you permanently you my wish, if only for insurance purposes, to have her included in the lease agreement. This probably will satisfy your landlord too because his concern will likely be about knowing who he has occupying his rental premises.


More Q/A - Rent Increase

Copyright © 2001 - 2017 apartmentguide.ca - Vancouver Apartments for Rent