Landlording Advice - Most Recent Answers

apartments * condominiums * suites * houses * rooms
sublets * vacation rentals * shared accommodation

apartment guide .ca
Vancouver Apartments for Rent

Translate to Spanish Translate to German Translate to Japanese Translate to French Translate to Chinese Translate to Korean

Advice for Landlords - Popular Subjects - 
Know the Rules:
Renting Process:
During Tenancy:
Ending Tenancy:


Landlording Problems - Most Recent Answers

 Related Legal Forms Provided by
- Residential Rental Inspection Report
Q: Tenants moved out a month ago. Left house in mess due to tenant obsessed with abandoned cats. Kim, the tenant has been feeding 50 of them for 2 years regularly. Now cats has caused the house inhabitable and damaged caused mainly by her adopting those cats. Now she's moved and she's left all the cats in my property. She has been hiding it quite well and she presented herself very well while living there. A few issues I have. I want to sue her for damage of property. Is residential dispute thru BC Residential Tenancy Branch the only route? or can I go thru small claim court? Is there a time limit to put in the claim? Tenant tricked me and I have her mailing address, not physical address. How can I find out where she lives now or do I need a private investigator to find out, which will cost a lot of money? I do not live in BC, I live in Saskatchewan. Wonder if that makes it inconvenient to appear in court. Also Kim the tenant has bought a house somewhere in BC, anyway I can find her? I am also consider suing her for animal crualelty as she abandoned the cats regularly for 2 years then abandoned them. Thank you.
A: The Residential Tenancy Act of British Columbia governs the how landlord-tenant disputes are handled throughout the province. Small claims are an entirely separate legal process. Small claims courts handle different issues and have real judges. In many cases, small claims cases take over a year to be heard. Under the Residential Tenancy Act of BC, a landlord may claim against a tenant for damages related to a residential tenancy. The legislation directs that a landlord is required to claim for damages against the tenant within 15 days of the end of the tenancy, but there are exceptions such as parties not being able to be found and/or parties avoiding service. The landlord can have up to 1 year to claim in exceptional circumstances. There is a little thing called a Condition and Inspection report that seems to have been overlooked in your case. This is the report that both the landlord and tenant are supposed to fill out on entering into the tenancy, and that they are supposed to fill out again at the end of the tenancy. These reports reveal a lot. The reports are generally considered to be prima-facie evidence of what the joint looked like when the tenancy started, and how things ended up. If what you say about the cats is accurate, the move-out inspection report should’a revealed there were 50 some-odd cats on the property, and the report should’a detailed that there were some noticeable damages to the property. If you aren’t out of time, and can get your case in front of an dispute resolution officer with the RTO, pictures, videos, notes, tradesmen’s bills, etc., are all things that are frequently considered necessary to establish who and whom did what, when, to who, where, and how. Cases are decided by the evidence and how the rules apply. Animal cruelty? I'd try the SPCA. The private eye bit? While people frequently try to make themselves hard to find, and some people can make themselves almost invisible, if your party just bought a house ‘somewhere in BC’, land registry might have a record. And the $20 for the question? You’ll be comforted to know that $20 goes 1/3rd of the way to paying a pre-school teacher’s salary in a remote village in South Africa – a village that now has a source of running water, has built 2 small schools, and has given a number of orphaned children a reason to dream, and to hope for a better future. The African PreSchools registered charity thanks you. So do I. So do the children.


More Q/A - Most Recent Answers

Copyright © 2001 - 2017 - Vancouver Apartments for Rent