Landlording Advice - Subletting & Assignment

apartments * condominiums * suites * houses * rooms
sublets * vacation rentals * shared accommodation

apartment guide .ca
Vancouver Apartments for Rent

Translate to Spanish Translate to German Translate to Japanese Translate to French Translate to Chinese Translate to Korean

Advice for Landlords - Popular Subjects - 
Know the Rules:
Renting Process:
During Tenancy:
Ending Tenancy:


Landlording Problems - Subletting & Assignment

 Related Legal Forms Provided by
- Lease Assignment Agreement
- Sublease Agreement
- Landlord's Consent to Lease Assignment
- Landlord's Consent to Sublease
Q: I am moving to my newly bought apartment only after the summer. If I rent out only for the summer (for transients), and someone rents for the whole summer (2 months), is this covered by the tenancy act?
many thanks
A: You need to move very carefully in the situation you describe because moving in a tenant is a lot easier than moving one out. Unless you specifically set up your rental as a lease, you've got a month-to-month tenancy situation. In these cases the landlord can only end the tenancy for non-payment of rent, cause, ending a caretakers employment where the rental is tied to his job, and landlord's use or renovation/conversion - which require tenant compensation and at least 2 month's written notice.
Even if you are renting to what you call 'transients' the rules and regulations of the Residential Tenancy Act of BC come into play. When you don't know what rules and regs are in play there are all sorts of complications that result in a great wailing and gnashing of teeth, and spending money, time and resources you never dreamed possible. Landlording isn't for the feint of heart - it actually can be a bloodsport.


More Q/A - Subletting & Assignment

Copyright © 2001 - 2017 - Vancouver Apartments for Rent